My Homemade "Charging Station"

Sunday, December 14, 2014


Sitting at a desk cramped with two laptop cords, a monitor screen cord, two phone chargers, and a tablet charger, I was beginning to feel a little overwhelmed and crowded. Cords seem to have a way of making even the neatest area look cluttered and messy. I knew I had to do something about this, so I decided that I would need to move some of these monstrous cords elsewhere. However, there was no where else I could charge the phones or tablet besides the one outlet beside my bed, and that didn't seem safe or comfortable to have electronics on the bed when trying to sleep in it. That's when the idea came to me...what if I made some sort of "charging station" for the phones and tablet? I decided to research some things and came across this popular post, where someone made a holder for charging their cell phone out of a lotion bottle. It's a really clever idea; however, I knew that I would need something bigger than a lotion bottle because I was planning to place my 10" tablet inside this thing as well. All of my ideas were a jumbled mess inside my head, so I decided to just head on to the store in hopes of finding some inspiration there. As soon as I passed by it, I knew it was the right tool for the job...a tissue box. It was the perfect size; not too bulky but also big enough for my tablet to fit inside of it. I wish I would have taken pictures of the steps with my camera, but I was so excited to make this, and honestly I was just figuring out how to make it as I was going along. It's pretty simple though, so I'll try to explain it. 

The part of the tissue box where the tissue would come out of needs to be either against the wall or on the front of the box. This allows for the box to be more tall/narrow rather than facing it up-right as that would make it short/bulky. First I cut the side of the box that would be on the top once placed on the wall with some scissors. After doing this, I hot glued some felt sheets on the inside of the box; this step is not entirely necessary, but I just felt more comfortable knowing my phone and tablet would be sitting upon something soft rather than cardboard. Next you can decorate your box however you'd like. I tried to find some extra fabric laying around, but to no avail, so I just covered my tissue box with light pink card stock paper and glued artificial flowers along the edges. Now you need to make holes on either the side or the bottom of the box with an X-acto knife so that your charger cords could go through these holes and into the box. I would be placing two phones and a tablet in my box, so I made three holes along the left side. Once your box is ready you can nail it into the wall. I would suggest not relying on tacks to hold this up, just because electronics are going to be inside of it and you wouldn't want an accident to happen! There were other ways that I thought this box could be held up, such as making two holes on the side of the box that would be along the wall and hanging it up using Command hooks. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with, but you can get creative with it.

This project has made me realize how many things I have in that light pink color...But that's all there is to it! My homemade charging station idea came to life, and I couldn't be more happy with the results!

No comments :

Post a Comment