My New Year's Resolutions for 2015

Saturday, January 10, 2015


1) Get out of the house more | This past 2014 felt like a blur, and not in the good way. When I think back on the year, nothing memorable really stands out to me because it was a kind of uneventful. This year I want to prevent myself from being a hermit and prevent myself from getting into those ruts. In the beginning of my relationship with Thai, we made a "Together Let's..." list, which is basically a list of things we want to do together. There are many things we still have yet to do. I want to be able to cross at least one thing off of that list every month and document those experiences on my blog.

2) Take more pictures | One of the reasons I believe that 2014 was so unmemorable is because I didn't take many pictures (and frankly, I have a pretty bad memory without having pictures to look back on). That's why I want to document my experiences better this year. But not too excessively; I don't want to miss living in a moment because I was so busy trying to capture it. 

3) Read more books | This is another common resolution, but it doesn't make it any less important! There are so many books I've bought in the past year that have just been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. There is a 50 books in one year challenge, but I feel as though it would be too difficult to read that many books with school, homework, work, working out, and also spending more time going out. Instead, I'm going to set my goal to read 25 books this year. That's about two books per month. If you'd like to see books I've read or want to read, click here for my Shelfari.

4) Spend less time on the computer | The good thing about my resolutions is I feel like many of them compliment each other. By getting out of the house, reading more books, and working out I will be able to accomplish my goal of spending less time on the computer. Specifically, I want to stray further away from League of Legends. Although I have loved the game for years, I feel that it is time to start moving on. I realized that a majority of the people in my "gaming life" aren't very positive to have around and aren't really what would be considered friends. I'd rather make other kinds of friends with different interests outside of League once I move to Austin. Not only that, but I feel as though the time I spend playing games could be time better spent doing something else.

5) Get my body to the place I want it to be | After years of trying to "love what I have" but always finding myself falling into insecurity, I want to finally make a change. The first goal I set for myself is to lose 25 pounds. Right now I'm not comfortable with sharing what my starting weight is, but I'm sure when I meet my goal weight that I'll be happy to share. Not only do I want to lose weight, but I also want to get my body healthy along the way by eating at least one fruit and/or vegetable every day and working out. I want to be able to feel confident in my own skin, and this year is the year it will happen.

6) Work on becoming the best version of myself I want to work on my attitude and reactions. I realize that these two things are really important in affecting the outcome of a situation. If you decide to have a negative attitude toward someone and then react in a hostile way, the situation is bound to go downhill. I want to work on strengthening my relationship by being more loving and understanding. Rather than getting annoyed or lashing out, I want to see myself calmly and openly communicating. I also want to work on my happiness. I never feel good when I'm down and decide to react by writing a negative blog post or text people negative rants. I feel as though doing this is making me dwell on the negatives, and I'd rather focus on spreading happiness rather than negativityOne song that really inspires me to be the best person I could be is the song Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw: "I loved deeper, and I spoke sweeter, and I gave forgiveness I've been denying...Some day I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying."
I've never made a legitimate list of resolutions before, but I decided to do it this year. Ignore those people who talk down on those who make New Year's resolutions and say that no one ever goes through with them. Prove them wrong! You don't have to set extreme goals for yourselfany small step is better than taking none. It may seem as though some of things you want to accomplish are too difficult, but what I like to keep in mind is my favorite quote from my favorite TV show Scrubs: "Nothing in this world that is worth having comes easy." I absolutely love this show. Here's a clip from the episode with the quote; it always hits me hard every time I watch it because it applies to my life in so many ways. You really can do anything you set your heart and mind to. Good luck to everyone out there; I wish you all happiness in this new year.

No comments :

Post a Comment